Sunday, December 28, 2008

No More Room For J-E-L-L-O

As a kid, I used to pound this crap back like it was the cure to obesity.

Naturally, I have long grown out of enjoying the jiggly dessert. Besides, when was the last time you saw Jell-O on the menu at a big-boy restaurant? Exactly.

Even if it was perfectly acceptable to ask for Jell-O, I don't think I can ever, never, ever, never, EVER think about Jell-O, or watch anyone eat it, ever, ever, ever again.

If anyone is keeping score, I no longer eat Jell-O.

Here's the thing: I'm not as worldly as some folk, or ever really excelled at that book learnin' stuff but I'm a pretty smart fella.

Obviously, I know that this childhood treat is made with gelatin, I never knew where gelatin came from. SRSLY. I just accepted it as is.

Ahem:
Gelatin (also gelatine, from French gélatine) is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, extracted from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones.

I. Did. Not. Know. That.

Reminder...back in September, I provided a very detailed post on what I will and will not eat. I do not eat skin. I do not eat any meat on the bone, ever. I won't eat anything that is served with it's face still on it.

Back to gelatin. That got me to thinking about other things that gelatin is used for that is ingested. Back to the wiki:

Common examples of foods that contain gelatin are gelatin desserts, trifles, aspic, marshmallows, and confectioneries such as Peeps and gummy bears. Gelatin may be used as a stabilizer, thickener, or texturizer in foods such as ice cream, jams, yogurt, cream cheese, and margarine; it is used, as well, in fat-reduced foods to simulate the mouthfeel of fat and to create volume without adding calories.

Uh, don't forget those AdvilTylenolContacC gel caps that we're all so fond of.

I am going to have to seriously evaluate why I'm not a vegetarian yet.

5 comments:

  1. srsly you didn't know? I've known since I was a wee laddie, it never stopped me... still love me some j-e-l-l-o to this day, and I cannot get me enuf gummie bears....

    Trust me Shirl, the LESS you read about what's in food, the better otherwise the Vegan diet might soon seem extravagant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you NOT know gelatin is made by rendering horse hooves and shut like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very picky about my yogurt because of the gelatin thing...the only one I've managed to find is Trader Joe's organic. Gelatin is gross!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark: exactly!

    Kitty: Yes, srsly i didn't know. i think it was one of those things that i kind of knew but filed away. when poodle told me, it sounded familiar, but it seemed to be somehow unreal. meh.

    cb: see above:)

    ray: I love Trader Joe! sadly there are none in Canada. We do have whole foods, though...

    ReplyDelete

you better make this good.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin