Sunday, December 28, 2008

Year In Review


I enjoyed doing a year end wrap up last year, but I gotta say, it was a lot of work. If I'm going to put lots of work into a post, I best be all about it!

Here is my music wrap up for 2008. (Most links go to a DL)

Favourite CD's of '08
  • Hard Candy ~ The Queen. That's kind of obvious, no?
  • Day & Age ~ The Killers
  • Bring Ya To The Brink ~ Cyndi Lauper

Third ~ Portishead


  • We Started Nothing ~ The Ting Tings
  • Donkey ~ CSS
  • In Ghost Colours ~ Cut/Copy
  • Seventh Tree ~ Goldfrapp


Sam Sparro ~ Sam Sparro


Favourite Tracks of '08


Give It 2 Me ~ The Queen


  • Black And Gold & Hot Mess ~ Sam Sparro
  • I'm Yours ~ Jason Mraz
  • American Boy ~ Estelle
  • Human ~ The Killers
  • Dress You Up ~ Darren Hayes
  • Mr. Hurricane ~ Beast
  • Cities In Dust ~ Junkie XL
  • I'm Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance ~ Black Kids
  • Slap A Bitch ~ Macy Gray
  • The Fear ~ Lily Allen
  • Into The Nightlife ~ Cyndi Lauper
  • Disco Lies & I Like To Move In Here ~ Moby
  • Caravan Girl ~ Goldfrapp
  • Hearts On Fire ~ Cut/Copy
  • Beautiful U R ~ Deborah Cox
  • You Know Me Better ~ Roisin Murphy
  • You Can't Handle Me ~ Robyn
  • That's Not My Name & Great DJ ~ The Ting Tings
  • Underneath ~ Alanis Morrissette
  • Sober ~ P!nk
  • Sweet About Me ~ Gabrielle Cilmi
My Favourite Discoveries
Beast



Either Colossally Mediocre Or I Just Couldn't Roll With of '08

Discipline ~ Janet Jackson. I'm not sure if it was me or her, but one of us didn't have enough of it.


  • 808's and Heartbreak ~ Kanye West. I've had my say.
  • Circus ~ Britney. Three Ring Circus is obviously the inspiration behind this one because there'sonly about three tracks that are any good.
  • The Slip ~ Nine Inch Nails. Ever since Pretty Hate Machine, I've been chasing the dragon with this one.
  • Boombox ~ Kylie Minogue. It's not even released yet, and I have already stopped listening to it. I was so excited when I found a leaked copy. Then it went boom.
  • Call And Response: Remix Album ~ Maroon 5. Response: Don't do it. There's just a handful of acceptable remixes, but really? Maroon 5 isn't so much a remix band, is it now?
  • Alchemy GST Reloaded ~ Ultra NatĂ©. I don't even know why I bothered.
  • Viva La Vida ~ Coldplay. It's okay. meh. I'll admit I haven't given it a solid chance.
  • I just can't commit to Katy Perry.
New Artist/Band Dangerously Close To Being Overexposed
  • Katy Perry
  • MGMT


The Ting Tings


  • Leona Lewis
  • Duffy
So Overplayed I Just Can't, Even If I Wanted To of '08
  • I Kissed A Girl/Hot And Cold ~ Katy Perry. Yes, I tapped my toes, but officially, I'm offended.



Mariah Carey. Pick one.


  • Womanizer ~ Britney Spears. I actually tried to count how many times she says "womanizer." Couldn't do it. Got lost at 32.
  • Shut Up And Let Me Go ~ The Ting Tings. Only if you shut up first.
  • Spotlight ~ Jennifer Hudson. Just finished with it. That's all.
  • Feedback ~ Janet Jackson. Here's some: take a break.



When I Grow Up ~ The Pussycat Dolls. Groupies, people. Groupies.


  • So What ~ P!nk. Stop with the nanna nanna boo boo.
  • Pocket Full of Sunshine ~ Natasha Bedingfield. That must burn.
  • Damaged ~ Danity Kane. So much production work here that they aren't actually singing, are they?
  • Single Ladies ~ BeyoncĂ©. First I thought it was frantic. Then, I started to like it. Now? "Used to like it but she need to put a cork in it!"
  • Dance Like There's No Tomorrow ~ Paula Abdul. Keep it up and there won't be a "tomorrow."
  • It's Over ~ Jesse McCartney. Your words, not mine.
  • Disturbia ~ Rihanna. It worked. I'm disturbed.
  • Mercy ~ Duffy. Gonna get skewered for that but it's TOO MUCH already!


Bleeding Love ~ Leona Lewis. Is it just me, or does anyone else think "period?"




'09 Should Be A Good Year For:
  • Lily Allen. It's Not Me, It's You's first single, The Fear, rules my world.
  • Kylie Minogue. While I couldn't get with Boombox, I know everyone else will.
  • Lady Gaga. She really owns a spot in every part of this list. Sometimes I dig her, sometimes not. I predict '09 will be great for her, she'll do another CD, and then that's it.
  • The Killers. It's a great CD and we're bound to see fantastic egotism from Brandon Flowers.


Justin Timberlake. For The Girls Who Get Tipsy was just a taste of what's to come.






Naturally, this is just me. There's loads more, but these were the standouts, I guess.
If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let y'all know. But one last thought.

Least favourite moment in music this year?
I can let go of a nasty shirtless Iggy Pop standing next to her.
I'll forgive Tom Cruise for getting close enough to be photographed with her.

But this!! Can never be unseen.



3 comments:

  1. Leona Lewis has the personality of a house plant, a boring Aspidistra.

    I hate hate hate the pussycat doll's "When I grow up I want to have boobies" BOOBIES! Please do Grow up you pathetic bunch of old fuckwits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. Pussycat dolls is SO much better if you put in the word boobies.

    And it makes sense too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great list, tho' i disagree on the NIN (best in a long time, still no PHM tho') and the coldplay is beautiful. give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete

you better make this good.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin