Monday, July 27, 2009

Trash Talkin'


After 36 days of striking inside and outside city workers, our illustrious mayor has announced that a tentative settlement has been met.

Toronto residents were denied city run summer camp programs, day care centres, swimming pools, health clinics, cooling centres, island ferry services and left scrambling to make other arrangements.

By far, the biggest impact has been on garbage collection. Poodle and I have been fortunate enough not to have to bring any overflow to one of dozens of makeshift dumps set up in city parks and parking lots. Unfortunately, even with the promise of a deal, garbage collection won't likely start up again until later this week, maybe even on Monday.

For people who have had to take their trash to a dump site, not only do they have the disgusting inconvenience of loading up their cars with stinky garbage, tolerating the overwhelming stink of actually being at a dump site, or having to put up with strking workers who block the dump entrances at lengthy intervals.

I'm sorry....these city workers get paid from tax dollars. That's me.

As far as I'm concerned, these workers should be arrested for disturbing the peace, threatening citizens' health and safety, and terrorism.

The only saving grace has been the fact that it has been a relatively cool summer. Back in 2002, during a 15 day strike, the occasional gust of wind would bring the stink of garbage.

Personally, I cannot WAIT for these garbage collectors to come around and pick up my stinking, rotting, maggoty, fly-ridden, mind numbingly foul smelling trash.

And when they do, I'm going to be standing on my front porch laughing my ass off at them. With a clothespin on my nose, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a mess.

    Spouse & I have significantly reduced our garbage through recycling and using the garbage disposal in the sink. We actually recycle more than we toss in the garbage can.

    ReplyDelete

you better make this good.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin