Monday, August 30, 2010

30 Day Challenge: Day 4 ~ Favourite Book

Who is the torturer who came up with this project?

Lourdes knows my love of reading has diminished greatly over the past 3 years, mainly due to not being able to maintain a focus or comprehension on anything too specific.

Fortunately, I was able to squeeze by a wonderful book by Brian Francis, called Fruit. While in the bookstore, I was drawn to the beautifully designed cover, but when I read the first page, I knew immediately that I would be finishing this book in record time.

Those first sentences of a book have to grab you; they have to compel you to want to know more.

"My name is Peter Paddington. I just started the 8th grade at Clarkedale Middle School. Six days a week, I deliver the Bluewater Observer and the other day, my nipples popped out."


Sorry, what did you say?

Poor Peter. Thirteen, overweight, with an overactive imagination and an obsession with his "diseased, deformed nipples" that eventually begin speaking to him. There's a motley crew of characters that Peter encounters every day, and I felt like I was bearing them right along with him.

I think anyone who was a chubby, gay kid will completely identify with Peter. I did immediately. Brian Francis did an exceptional job creating this voice and staying in character, careful not to make Peter too immature, but just young enough to not really "get" what's going on around him.

3 comments:

  1. Goodness.
    well, you've got me intrigued now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, perhaps I'll add this to my future reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this book, however it does sound like an interesting read. I wonder if it is available in Europe?

    ReplyDelete

you better make this good.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin