Friday, August 27, 2010

30 Day Challenge:Day 1 ~ Your Favourite Song

Well, this is incredibly difficult.

Music has always been such an essential part of my existence. As a young queerling, and the child of deaf parents, it was the only thing that was truly "mine."

I could easily tell you the first LP I bought was Culture Club's Kissing To Be Clever. I could tell you that the first cassette I bought was Like A Virgin. I could even tell you that the first CD I bought was I'm Breathless (I was a late adapter to the realm of CDs).

But truly, I think picking my "favourite song" has needs to be the FIRST favourite song; the tune that hooked me into realm of pop music. It was also the first song that inspired my first visit to "the record store" and I bought my first 45. I still have it.

In 1982...I was 11....Sylvia was all over the radio. And in those days, AM was cool.

She sang about a lover/husband who was messing around on her. The song was Nobody.

If my live depended on it, and given the choice to sing Nobody or face a firing squad, I would easily conquer the former.

So, there it is. The Favourite Song of the Thirty Day Challenge is Sylvia, Nobody.



Sittin' in a restaurant
She walked by
I seemed to recall
That certain look in your eye
I said, who's that
You said, with a smile
Oh, it's nobody...
Nobody.

Maybe that explains the last two weeks
You called me up, dead on your feet
Working late again
I asked who with
You said, nobody
Aah, nobody

Well your nobody called today
She hung up when I asked her name
Well, I wonder
Does she think she's being clever
(Clever, ooh, ooh)
You say, nobody's after you
The fact is what you say is true
But I can love you like nobody can
Even better

Late last night we went for a drive
You were miles away
I asked, who's on your mind
You said, nobody (nobody)
Why do you ask
Oh, her again
I could've told you that

We came back home
Got ready for bed
I said to myself
I've got one shot left
You're still mine and I won't stand in line
Behind nobody
Nobody

Well, your nobody called today
She hung up when I asked her name
Well, I wonder does she think she's being clever
(Clever, ohh, ohh)
You say nobody's after you
The fact is what you say is true
But I can love you like nobody can
Even better

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE that song. Used to sing along to it on the radio while sitting on the console of my mom's '71 Mustang Mach 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year on our trip to the coast we have a Karaoke Night. We all have our signature song. Mine is I Will Survive (surprise, surprise). My best girl friend's is Nobody. Always a crowd pleaser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like this idea - may have to steal it!

    ReplyDelete

you better make this good.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin