Friday, September 17, 2010

30 Day Challenge: Day 21 ~ A Recipe

Something that y'all may not know about me, is that I'm a TOTAL foodie.

I thought long and hard about what recipe I would share here. Grandma's country chili? Mama's authentic marinara sauce? Papa's delicious pizza crust?

Nope.

You're getting something even more special...AND...you can make it this Sunday for brunch for all your friends.

The Lisp's French Toast

This recipe has taken a few years to perfect; I think I've finally nailed it! I've provided the ingredients, including any optional additions (in bold).

Ingredients:
  • 6 slices of sturdy French/sourdough/challah bread, about 3/4 inches thick. --don't purchase anything pre-sliced; do it yourself!
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk (2% or even 3%!)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract -- I use Madagascar vanilla, available at Williams-Sonoma.
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons of UNSALTED butter
  • 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
  • Maple syrup and icing sugar for dusting
Ready? Here we go!

In a large baking dish, place the bread slices in a single layer.

Whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla, sugar, nutmeg, salt and orange zest/Grand Marnier (if using). Pour evenly over the bread and let stand for 1 minute. Then, turn the bread over, cover the dish with Saran Wrap and let stand for 10 minutes (but not longer than 30).

In a frying pan over medium heat, melt half the butter...when the butter has foamed and the foam begins to subside, add slices of bread, but don't overcrowd.

In about 3 minutes, the bottoms should be golden brown, carefully turn over. Cook another 2 minutes for a custardy finish; cook another 3 minutes for a drier result.

Transfer the cooked slices to an oven-safe platter and keep warm in a low oven (200). Melt the remaining butter and repeat with any remaining slices.

Serve the French toast on individual plates, dust the tops with the icing sugar and serve with maple syrup.

YUMMY!

Let me know if you try it!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE French Toast. I haven't had it in a long time. Now I'm craving it!

    ReplyDelete

you better make this good.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin