Monday, March 5, 2012

Cleaning It Up ~ Part Two Of My FitOrganix Exclusive!

...Food, glorious food!
What wouldn't we give for that extra bit more --
That's all that we live for.
Why should we be fated to do nothing but brood
On food,
Magical food, Wonderful food,
Marvellous food, Fabulous food...


~Food, Glorious Food, Oliver! Soundtrack
As you know, I recently completed a cleanse under the watchful eye of Jules Lieff and the FitOrganix team.  I was going to break down my meals every day, but that could get monotonous.  So, I've decided to summarize my meals for you.  They went a little something like this:
Breakfasts:  scrambled egg whites, a handful of walnuts, oatmeal with some organic maple syrup (subbed out for quinoa because this bitch don't like oatmeal), and freshly squeezed juice.  I'll tell you...when you cut out the Tropicana and the coffee and the tea, freshly squeezed juice burned my mouth and throat -- but that could have been the ginger.  But by the end of the third day, I was fully jonesing for that juice.  It's an awesome way to start the day!  If you've got a juicer, get to juicing!

Lunch/Dinner:  chicken or fish (whitefish, salmon etc), tons of vegetables including garlic, onions, broccoli, peppers, asparagus, carrots, cucumber, sweet potatoes, lentils, avocado, zucchini, chickpeas, red beans and the list really goes on.  Usually paired with brown rice or delicious quinoa.  My favourite was combination of beans, rice and lentils!  Earthy and delicious! Also a refreshing tabbouleh that I got to love twice!

What else:  No caffeine, no sugar, no red meat, no dairy, no wheat (no BREAD), no white foods (except for those egg whites) no alcohol <--- and yes, I cheated on this one.  Apples, nuts for snacks, including some gluten free/sugar free/wheat free treats baked in the FitOrganix kitchen, like vegan Almond Butter Cookies!
Remember, all of this was delivered fresh to my door everyday, by 8am.  
Now...the ugly truth:  Three days of no sugar, no caffeine and no hardcore carbs made this queen an evil ruler.  Just to add insult to injury, it seemed like everyone at work brought tasty treats in to share.  Daily.  And I just sat there with my quinoa and eggs.  Torture.  But by the end of the first week, I could look at those treats on the lunch table and say, "meh."  I was starting to feel really good.  Bloating was diminishing.  I was pooping regularly (everyday at 3pm thankyouverymuch), I wasn't hungry and I was getting full faster.  Also, people were noticing.

With the first week under my belt and the "cleansing" part over, it was time to relearn portion control, and to learn how to eat clean.  Interestingly, now that the whole cleanse is officially done, I can honestly say that I have fully hit my "reset" button.  I feel different.  I am much more aware of what I'm eating.  My last grocery shop, I focused on the perimeter of the store and avoided the aisles as much as possible.  Who am I?

Today, I got to meet up with Jules for coffee (my first in a month!) and we talked about specific food issues, but also about what most people can do to "eat clean."  What is clean eating?  Focusing on meals that are made up of lean proteins, high vegetable, fruit sugar and low allergenic foods like quinoa and brown rice.  Apples help clean your body of heavy metals, such as lead and mercury.  Onions and garlic are detoxifying.  Red meat is too heavy during a cleanse, but eating red meat once a week helps you to "eat clean."

One thing that I missed very much (other than bread) was cheese.  Oh, mama likes her cheese!  But it turns out, that dairy is a hormonal based product; it's acidic and can cause almost allergic type reactions in the body (not to be confused with lactose intolerance which is enzyme specific).  If you need your cheese, as I do, try to go with a goat or sheep's milk.  They have different proteins than cow's milk, and let's face it...I've never met a goat's cheese I didn't like!

And finally, did you know that CORN and WHEAT have been so modified over the years, that there is very little left that is actually healthy?  Wheat, in Jules' words, "is a grain that has been so fucked over," and advises everyone to try to completely avoid the following:
  • dairy
  • wheat
  • corn
  • soy
  • artificial sweeteners 
I'll keep you all posted on my dietary shenanigans.  In the meantime, if you're in the Greater Toronto Area and you want to learn more, you can discuss your specific needs with Jules, by going to the FitOrganix website, filling out the Let's Talk form and explore some very interesting options.

Also, Jules is the official ProudFM Fitness and Nutrition expert can be heard every Monday at 6pm during The Mike Chalut Show on ProudFM. If you're not in Toronto, you can listen online!



Read Part One of my FitOrganix adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

you better make this good.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin