Saturday, January 5, 2013

Excuse Me? Whatchu Said To Me?


"A faggot is not a homosexual male. A faggot is any male who acts like a female. There's a BIG difference.” 
~Azealia Banks, January 12, 2013, on her Twitter



I am one of those people who has been eagerly awaiting Azealia Banks CD release of Broke With Expensive Taste; happy to support a young woman who HAPPENS to identify as bisexual.  I even defended her during her very recent Twitter war with Angel Haze, an even lesser-known hip hop artist.

Yes, she uses the N-word in her lyrics.  She's used the word "dyke" in them, too.  I support the discriminated against and disparaged in reclaiming derogatory language used against them.  But, there is too much divide among our LGBT community, and in my opinion, she chose a very homophobic stance to defend her definition of the word "faggot" during a new Twitter dispute with that loathsome Perez Hilton.  She later said that instead of the word "female," she meant to say, "cunt."  Oh, much better.

Before anyone gets all in my face, yes, I've used "fag, faggot, etc" in my conversations, but I'm actually very mindful of how, when and who I use it with.  

Now, don't get it twisted...I'm not taking Perez' side in all this.  In my books, he's just as guilty!  Remember Perez hurling the word "faggot" at will.i.am during TIFF a couple of years back?   He deliberately used that word as an insult, and to be hurtful.  It's in the video, for anyone who needs reminding. 


It's quite unfortunate that my "love" for Azealia Banks is over before it really had a chance to begin. 

Oh, and go fuck yourself, cunt.

2 comments:

  1. I am very pleased to be able to say "Azealia, who?" at this juncture... What a cunt, indeed. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a recent (or maybe not so recent - who can tell) episode of South Park where the boys use the word faggot. To them it had nothing to do with being gay just being a douche, specifically people who rode motorcycles and made too much noise. It was one of their better shows, not too funny but smart and on point with its message.

    While I agree that language, like the law and constitution, are living things that grow and change with time and I think it's not a bad idea to try and reclaim a word or to redefine it, I think there are words that should just die.

    Even as a kid, when my mom would be mad about using bad language, I would ask her what's the difference if you say a nice word but think or say it with hate? She'd smile and reply that I was right but that wasn't an excuse for a potty mouth.

    ReplyDelete

you better make this good.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin